Archive of January 2007

Sunday, January 28, 2007

For some unknown reason I was looking up random domain names when I came across something interesting.  The domain was still available.  I guess I knew this as I've looked up numerous Papendick domains in the past.  Apparently today was the day that it became important for me as I now own it!  Nothing too exciting at this point as it's currently parked to the PolarLava site.  Maybe at some point I'll do something useful with it.

OK, it's no longer parked here.  But then again, it's still nothing special.  Over the weekend I built it into its own site, that is basically a clone of my wife's site.  I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with it, although I have considered splitting off the personal aspects of this site and putting them there.

Part of me still wants to split my site, but I just don't have the time to dedicate to it as I have a lot of other things I'd also like to do.  So it's either going to expire and get gobbled up by a squatter, wallow in it's current sad state, or I may keep it and point it to PolarLava.  I guess I'm leaning toward the first or possibly the third option if I feel like paying for it again.

— 2/2/2008—
Alright, I couldn't let it go.  I've opted to switch registrars which allowed me to get 2 years for what it would have cost me for one at the previous one.  And being I don't see doing much with this for the foreseeable future I've now parked it to point to PolarLava.
January 28, 2007 @ 08:27 am | Category:
Saturday, January 27, 2007

My Life As An RSS Junkie

I can so relate to the bulk of what this guy is saying about being an RSS junkie.  I am so addicted to Netvibes.  I don't think my addiction is as bad as his, but I certainly would like to get a t-shirt with the RSS logo and "RSS Addict" on it.

And if you're reading this, you probably need a shirt too!  ;)
January 27, 2007 @ 10:16 pm | Category:

MyClient V3.1.3 Released

MyClient V3.1.3 has been released.  This is strictly a bug fix release so you only need to update your files.  There are not configuration changes to be made.

  • None
Bug Fixes
  • Saving query results in any manner now functions.
  • HTML entities in the query window are now properly handled on page reload.
  • Two new language strings were added for text translations that were previously missed.
  • Database class files have been updated with several miscellaneous bug fixes.
Configuration Changes
  • None
New Language Tags
These new tags that have been added to the language files were machine translated —with the exception of the Japanese files.  If you are utilizing a language other than English, your feedback and corrections are most welcome. (kevinp ~AT~
See the MyClient History file for more information.  Please see the MyClient Upgrading documentation for information on upgrading your installation.
January 27, 2007 @ 09:59 pm | Category:
Friday, January 26, 2007

Using TrueCrypt

For quite a while now I've been going to look into so way of encrypting the data I store on my USB Flash Drive.  At one point I had looked at using GPG, but never really got very far with making easy and work able.  Thus I did the appropriate thing and gave up.

Earlier this week I came across a "data swiped from a flash drive horror story" which got me thinking about it again.  So after a few minutes of searching I came up with TrueCrypt.

After a couple of missteps I successfully configured "Traveller Mode" on my 256MB flash drive.  At this point I have a 230MB encrypted drive with the remainder unencrypted.  This allows space to store the application and also functions as some portable scratch space if I need it.  Very easy, very convenient.  Now all I need to do is buy a 1GB drive and life will be good.  Then I will probably convert the 256MB back to an unencrypted scratch drive.
January 26, 2007 @ 12:49 pm | Category:
Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Southern Tier Harvest Ale

Southern Tier Harvest Ale
January 23, 2007 @ 12:40 pm | Category:
Sunday, January 21, 2007

CSS Restructuring

I've pared down the base CSS file to no longer include the section specific (Cycling, Weather, etc.) CSS data.  These sections now load the base file and a section specific CSS file.  So pages that don't require the section specific CSS no longer download this unnecessary data.  The net result being that things should be microscopically faster and less bandwidth will be utilized.  It also makes managing the site layout a bit simpler.
January 21, 2007 @ 10:02 am | Category:
Sunday, January 14, 2007

The Mountain Goat

 The Mountain Goat
January 14, 2007 @ 11:06 am | Category:
Friday, January 12, 2007

The Mole Killer

Mr. Darwin, meet The Mole Killer.
January 12, 2007 @ 05:07 pm | Category:
Page 1 of 4